Published: Monday, 29 August 2016 17:50
Maintaining security within convenience and portability
We’ve all become accustomed to the usefulness that mobile devices add to our on-the-go lifestyle. Whether we’re connecting with friends or family members or even completing our taxes with handheld devices, our ability to use these handy gadgets have become transformative in our modern world.
As more and more users begin switching their main Internet-browsing method from computers to smartphones and tablets, security still plays an important role in securing sensitive data. This includes the physical security of devices as well.
Here are some helpful tips to consider to protect your data, privacy, and devices whether at work or at home:
- When first using your mobile device, disable location tracking for everything, then re-enable location tracking only for the apps which offer you confidence in the privacy options
- Set up a lock screen passcode, PIN or pattern on your mobile device
- Back up the data on your device regularly to prevent losing valuable data
- Make sure to keep your mobile device secured on your person and never leave it unattended in public places
- Set up online tracking of your device. In the event that your device is lost or stolen, this will allow you to track the location and even let you utilize the front webcam to potentially capture an image of the alleged thief. These tracking features also usually let you remotely wipe the device and delete sensitive data if you are unable to recover the device
- Install antivirus and malware protection software and keep it up to date. Also be sure to keep your software updated with the latest version
With the increasing usability and convenience of mobile devices, it is imperative that we all remain diligent in maintaining security across all platforms—even when we’re on the go.
For more information regarding how Intuit safeguards customer data, please visit security.intuit.com.