Intuit TurboTax Freedom Edition Privacy Statement
Last Updated: July 27, 2018
Please read our full privacy statement, below, to help you understand the types of information we collect, why we collect it, how we will use it and the various options you have to manage the privacy of your personal information. To get you started, here are a few key terms:
Unless you provide us with additional consent to do so, we will not:
- Use Your Free File Tax Data for TurboTax Marketing Purposes. We will not market other TurboTax products and services to users of the TurboTax Freedom Edition.
- Share or Use Your Free File Data with Our Partners (including Financial Companies) for Joint Marketing Purposes. We will not share your personal information with third parties nor market joint products and services to users of the TurboTax Freedom Edition.
- Share or Use Your Free File Tax Data to Market Our Other Intuit Products and Services. We will not share your information with our affiliates or subsidiaries so they can directly market their services to you.
- Share Your Free File Tax Data with Outside Parties so that They Can Market to You. We do not share your information with third-parties so that they may market to you their products and services.
We understand that the privacy of your information is important to you, and we are committed to being transparent about how we use, share, and protect your information. To help further our commitment, we have developed this Privacy Statement to help you better understand the types of information we collect, why we collect it, how we will use it, and the various options you have to manage the privacy of your personal information.
As part of the IRS Free File Program, we offer free tax preparation software to certain qualified customers called TurboTax Freedom Edition (also referred here as the “Services”) to make the preparation and filing of taxes affordable and easy. Personal information that you provide to us as part of the IRS Free File Program (“Free File Tax Data”) will only be used in accordance with this policy.
SCOPE OF THIS PRIVACY STATEMENT
This Privacy Statement describes our privacy practices for information we collect from or about individuals through our TurboTax Freedom Edition product, whether via mobile or web. Please note that this Privacy Statement only applies to personal information collected through our TurboTax Freedom Edition Service. It does not apply to other Intuit Services, including other TurboTax products.
This Privacy Statement includes some important information, please take the time to read the entire Privacy Statement. Of course, if you have any questions please reach out to us.
1. WHAT INFORMATION WE COLLECT.
Information You Give Us.
- Creating an Account. When you create an account we collect information that allows us to set up and open your account, such as your name, email address, phone number, user ID, and password.
- Using our Services. We receive information from you when you use our Services, such as information about you. We may also collect additional information from you when you sign-in or otherwise use our Services. For example, you may choose to sync a third-party account with your TurboTax Freedom Edition account in order to upload tax forms, like your W2 or 1099, into the product. You can learn more about syncing, linking, and connecting to your financial institution by visiting our Terms of Service. For more details, please see Section “Information We Get When You Use the Service”, below.
- Customer Support, Product Research, Trainings, and Feedback. When you reach out to us for support, give us feedback, participate in optional surveys, product research or trainings, we may also collect information that you choose to share.
Information We Get When You Use the Service.
When you access or use our Services, we may automatically collect certain information about you and how you use the Services. This may include:
- Device information. We may collect device information such as Internet Protocol (“IP”) addresses, log information, error messages, device type, and unique device identifiers. For example, we may collect IP addresses from you when you log into the Services as part of our log-in and security features.
Usage Information. We may collect usage information such as the pages you viewed, the features you use, your browser type, error reports, and any links you click on to leave or interact with our Services. We may also gather information about other applications you use on your device for analytics.
- Content. We may also collect content that you provide through the Services, including information about: you, your dependents and household information; your wage, employment and income; your government forms such as your W2 or 1099; your deductions, credits and refund status; and your outside financial accounts that you choose to input into the Services.
- Information from Cookie and other Technologies. Intuit and our service providers may use commonly-used tools such as cookies, web beacons, pixels, local shared objects, and similar technologies (collectively, "Cookies") to provide the Service you requested, recognize your visit, track your interactions with our Services, and improve your and other customers' experience. You have control over some of the data we collect from Cookies and how we use it. For more information, please see our Cookies Policy.
Information We Get From 3rd Parties
We may also get information about you from other third parties where permitted by applicable law. For example, we receive information from:
- third parties with whom you have an account or receive a service when you: choose to sync that third-party account/service with your Intuit account, or integrate your data from that third party into the Service we provide to you.
- third-party service providers who help us to supplement the information you have provided and to ensure the accuracy of your information. For example, we use third party service providers to validate your mailing address.
- third parties who provide us with information about you or your interaction with our Services. For example, we may obtain service and support information or technical issues you have raised with these third parties.
Some of the functionalities in our Service may require you to provide information in order for you to use the Service. If you do not wish to provide the required information, you may not be able to use certain features or the Service. We will try to let you know what information is required and what information is optional. We may also combine information that you provided us with information about you that we get from other sources, in accordance with applicable law.
2. HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION. We will only use your information to:
- Perform Tax Calculations and Help You File Your Return. For example, to generate your refund amount, provide your adjusted gross income, and calculate your total credits and deductions.
- Provide, Improve, Protect, and Deliver the Services. To provide you with the Services that you have accessed or requested; to improve the service; to provide technical support; to protect the security and safety of the Services, our customers, Intuit, and others; or to otherwise operate our business.
- Communicate with You. From time to time we may provide you with important information about the Services or your accounts. For example, we may notify you about the status of your Tax Return Filing after it is submitted to the IRS or State agency.
- Protect Intuit and Others. For example, to protect Intuit, our customers and others tax filers for the purpose of combatting fraud.
- Analyze Your Information. We may use both manual and automated systems, such as machine learning and artificial intelligence, to: analyze your information to improve our Services; personalize your experience; automate certain aspects of the Service; provide you certain features; and protect the safety and security of Intuit, our Services, our customers and others.
As required by the IRS Free File program, unless we have your explicit consent, we will not:
- Use your personal information to market to you other TurboTax or Intuit products or services
- Share your personal information with outside third-parties to be used for their marketing purposes.
In general, we will use the personal information we collect from you only for the purposes described in this Privacy Statement or for purposes we provide at the time we collect your personal information. However, we may also use your personal information for other purposes that are not incompatible with this Privacy Statement if and where this is permitted by applicable law. We will provide you with further information on any such additional processing when this happens, in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
3. HOW WE SHARE YOUR INFORMATION. From time to time, we may need to share your information, but we will only share your personal information with third-parties for the following reasons:
- To provide functions and services on our behalf. We may share your information with third parties who provide various functions on our behalf and enable us to provide our Services and operate our business, such as service providers and business partners.
- In connection with a potential merger or acquisition. If we are involved with a potential merger, asset sale, financing, liquidation, bankruptcy, or the acquisition of all or part of our business to another company, we may share your information with that company and its advisors before and after the transaction date.
- For legal reasons. We may share your information with third-parties for legal reasons, including:
- when we reasonably believe disclosure is required or permitted in order to comply with a subpoena, court order, or other applicable law, regulation or legal process;
- to protect the rights, property, or safety of Intuit, our Services, our customers, or others;
- to protect against or defend our Services against attacks;
- to enforce, remedy, or apply our Terms of Service and other agreements; or
- to prevent fraud and for debt collection.
- With your consent. With your consent, we may share your personal information with third parties for the following reasons:
- For Research. We may share your information with third-parties for research purposes or to publish academic or policy-related materials. We only share combined, unidentifiable customer data, but only in a way that would not allow the customer or any person to be identified.
- With our Affiliates and Subsidiaries. We may share your information with and among our affiliates and subsidiaries.
4. WHAT YOU CAN DO TO MANAGE YOUR PRIVACY. You have choices when it comes to managing the privacy of your personal information.
- Access, Correct or Delete. You may request access to, correction of, or deletion of some of your personal information. For example, you may be able to update your login information for the Services. However, once your return is filed you will need to contact the IRS [here] or create an amended return in order to update your data/filing. You can often go directly into the Service under Account Settings to take these actions. Please note that even if you request for your personal information to be deleted, certain aspects may be retained for us to: meet our legal or regulatory compliance (e.g. maintaining records of transactions you have made with us); exercise, establish or defend legal claims; and to protect against fraudulent or abusive activity on our Service.
- Cookies and Other Tracking Technologies. You can find additional information on your options with regard to Cookies, including how to change your browser settings to opt-out of Cookies by visiting our Cookies Policy. Please note, if you disable some or all of the Cookies the Service, or parts of the Service may not work.
5. DATA RETENTION. Unless you specifically ask us to delete your personal information, we retain your information as long as necessary to:
- Maintain your Intuit account or to provide you with our Services;
- Abide by our legal or regulatory compliance obligations (e.g. maintaining records of transactions you have made with us);
- Exercise, establish or defend legal claims, and to protect against fraudulent or abusive activity on our Service; or
- Improve our Services in accordance with this Privacy Statement, provided that any data retained for this purpose will be used only for a limited period and handled securely and in confidence.
If we no longer need your information for the above purposes, we will generally delete or de-identify it in accordance with our standard data retention practices. However, there may be occasions where we are unable to fully delete or de-identify your information due to technical or other operational reasons, for example where your information has been archived onto back-up systems. Where this is the case, we will take reasonable measures to securely isolate your information from any further processing until such time as we are able to delete or de-identify it.
6. THIRD-PARTY LINKS, SERVICES AND INTEGRATIONS.
- Third-Party Services. Third-party products, services and applications may use or integrate with our Services, or otherwise be offered through our Services (“Third-Party Services”). For example, you may be able to connect your outside financial account with the Services to help you prepare your tax return.
- Third-Party Advertising and Analytics. Intuit may use advertising networks and other third -parties to display advertising on our Services or to manage our advertising on other sites. Our third-party partners may place Cookies on our Services and unaffiliated websites in order to serve advertisements that may be relevant to you based on your browsing activities and interests, and to determine the effectiveness of such advertisements. If you wish to opt-out of interest-based advertising, visit Digital Advertising Alliance's Network Advertising Initiative's, or Your Online Choices.
Even if you opt-out of such Cookies or otherwise opt-out of interest-based advertising, you may still receive advertisements, they just won't be tailored to your interests. If you opt-out and later delete your Cookies, use a different browser, or buy a new computer, you may need to renew your opt-out choices.
7. SECURITY OF YOUR INFORMATION. We understand that the security of your information is important to you. We provide appropriate technical and organizational security controls to protect your information. But, even with our best efforts, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of your information. You can find out more about how we protect your information and the steps you can take to help protect your information here.
8. HOW TO CONTACT US. If you have questions or comments about this Privacy Statement or our practices, please contact us:
- TurboTax Customer Support: 1-800-315-1481
- Direct Mail. Privacy, 2800 E Commerce Center Place, Tucson, AZ 8570
- Email: email@example.com
9. CHANGES TO OUR PRIVACY STATEMENTS. From time to time we may change or update our Privacy Statement. We reserve the right to make changes or updates at any time. If we make material changes to the way we process your personal information, we will provide you notice via our Service or by other communication channels, such as by email or community post and if required by applicable data protection laws seek your consent to those material changes.
You can see when this Privacy Statement was last updated by checking the “last updated” date displayed at the top of this Privacy Statement. Please review any changes carefully.
10. COLLECTION AND USE OF CHILDREN’S PERSONAL INFORMATION.
Our Services are intended for and directed to individuals 18 or over and we do not knowingly collect personal information from minors.
11. CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS.
We do not share your Personal Information with third parties for their marketing purposes without your consent.
12. DO NOT TRACK.
Like most other companies, our Services are not currently configured to respond to browsers' "Do Not Track" signals because at this time no formal "Do Not Track" standard has been adopted. Click here for more information on "Do Not Track."